Home is where the heart is. While that is the ultimate truth, anywhere in the world you go, you always find peace at home. Moreover, a home is the most valuable investment that most people end up making in their entire lifetime. If a home holds such prominence is one’s life, why not safeguard it? A home insurance policy is the perfect way to ensure coverage for your home against various perils. Like it is crucial to get your health insured to avoid mental and financial setbacks, a home insurance policy works in a similar fashion.
Depending on the coverage of your policy, these home insurance plans offer varied coverage. The most basic ones offer coverage for the structure of your house whereas plans are available to include cover for the contents too. When you purchase a home insurance policy, the following nifty tips will help you make a prudent choice of home insurance cover. Let’s have a look:
- Evaluate your requirements: The first thing when buying a home cover begins with assessing your needs. The kind of coverage you need depends on not one factor, but many factors like the locality of your home, the strength of the structure, the contents within your home and the like. These various factors will help you evaluate what should be covered in your home insurance cover. Such pointers form the must-haves in your coverage.
- Know about the insurance coverage: Once you make a thorough estimate of what are your requirements, you must look into the coverage of each policy. The coverage of such plans will help you shortlist a favourable few depending on home insurance quotes, policy features and more.
- Compare before you purchase: After shortlisting a few policies that check all the right boxes, compare them before finalising on one. Comparison of such policies can be done on the features of the policy, the extent of its coverage, the inclusions and more specifically, the exclusions of the policy, and other terms like deductibles of the plan. These various factors can help to buy a policy that is feature rich along with light on the wallet.
- Select the appropriate add-on covers: Deepening on what your insurer has to offer, there are different add-ons that can be added to your home insurance cover. Add-ons are optional policy features that are available at an additional premium. Although they increase the premium, the benefits offered are far greater which is why it is worthwhile to purchase them. When loading add-ons, make use of a home insurance calculator to estimate its increase on the total premium.Verify the insurer’s credibility: Verifying the insurer’s financial strength is essential before purchasing a policy. If the insurance company faces financial troubles, your claims may not get honoured. Thus, it is advisable to opt for a reputed insurance company having strong presence and history in offering general insurance coverage for homes.
- Ensure application is filled in complete: Lastly, ensure to fill your home insurance application completely without concealing any crucial information. Answering all the questions posed by the insurer in true and complete sense helps to avoid hassles of rejected claim applications in the future.
These are some of the tips that can help in the home insurance purchase journey. Keeping them in mind, you can insure not only the structure, but also important contents like appliances and even jewellery. However, note that insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms and conditions, please read sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.