It is common for injured drivers to feel shaken and overwhelmed after a car crash. Such crashes, collisions, and accidents happen quite frequently in Idaho. Although circumstances are likely to be anything but normal, you are required to take immediate action. Among other things, you should consider consulting a Boise Idaho auto accident lawyer to know the worth of your claim, especially if the other party was evidently at fault. Here are the steps that every driver is expected to follow after an accident.
- Get to safety. Eject yourself from the vehicle and move to a safe place. If it is safe to remove the car on the side of the road, consider doing that. However, when the vehicle is damaged to the point of immobilization, don’t endanger people at the scene.
- Call the police. Even when you believe that the accident is a small blip or hasn’t caused much damage, consider calling the local law enforcement. If there was no investigating officer at the scene, you must report the crash separately as per Idaho laws. This applies to all accidents that result in injury, death, or considerable property damage.
- Call 911. If someone is injured and needs medical attention, call 911 immediately. If you are not trained to offer first help, do not try to help the injured, as you may end up doing more harm.
- Gather information from the accident scene. Note down details of the other drivers involved in the crash, including insurance information. If there were witnesses to the accident, get their contact details too. Take photos and videos of the accident scene.
- Call a lawyer. Whether you should file a third-party insurance claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company depends on many factors, but it is wise to call an attorney soon after. A lawyer can offer a free assessment of your claim and explain the intricate details, including what you can expect in a settlement.
Also, ensure that you hire the right lawyer for the case. Only selected personal injury lawyers in Idaho specialize in car accident claims and lawsuits, and you need to consider the various aspects of their work profile, including their fee. Accident attorneys will typically ask for a contingency fee, which is only payable when the attorney wins a settlement. Don’t be tempted to file an accident claim on your own unless you have spoken to an attorney about the worth of your settlement.